CIVIC USE OF BUILDINGS – PROCEDURES, TERMS AND CONDITIONS
I (the Requestor) agree to monitor and control the conduct of persons in and about the building associated with my use and pay for any damage beyond ordinary wear and tear which may occur to this facility (or facilities) as a result of my use. I will carefully inspect the facility (or facilities) prior to my use and determine if it is configured and equipped so as to be safe for my use and the persons who will be in the facility (or facilities) because of my use.
APPLICATION PROCESS - The use of Portland Public Schools' facilities must be requested by written application. Applicants must be at least 18 years old and agree to all conditions of use. A $25.00 application fee will be invoiced when your permit is approved. A use of building permit will be issued upon payment of all applicable fees.
FACILITY USE INFORMATION
Describe the requested activity in full detail. All activities are subject to the following conditions:
1. Hours Of Use - All activity participants must comply with the hours of use and vacate the facility at the time noted on the permit. Additional time will result in an additional fee assessment.
2. Accessibility - Not all areas of all buildings are ADA/handicap accessible. It is the responsibility of the applicant to inquire at the site to determine accessibility of the building and the specific area requested for the activity.
3. Safety Awareness - The permit holder and those working with the activity must familiarize themselves with the fire exits and location of fire extinguishers. Exits must not be blocked. Chairs and tables should not exceed the limits of the space and shall not be placed in aisles or doorways. If extension cords are used they must not pose a safety hazard that would cause someone to trip or fall.
4. Cafeteria Use - If kitchen facilities, for the purpose of preparing or heating food, are requested a Nutrition Services employee must be on site to supervise the use of the equipment. The Nutrition Services department will assess separate fees.
5. Limitations - Alcohol, drugs, tobacco, gambling, and weapons are prohibited in the school buildings or on school grounds. Food and beverages are allowed only in designated areas. Food is not allowed in school gyms, auditoriums, or computer labs. Advertising or sale of merchandise in school buildings or on the school grounds is prohibited. District facilities may not be used for commercial sales. Schools may not be used for public dances; dances are limited to those sponsored by the school or PTA/PTO.
FEE PAYMENT INFORMATION
1. Application Fee - A $25.00 non-refundable application fee will be invoiced when your permit is approved. Rental Fees will be assessed for all activities that are not an extension of a school program. Fee information can be obtained by contacting the Civic Use of Buildings office at 503-916-3436, 503-916-3268 or 503-916-3156. An invoice will be sent to the permittee. Payment, in full, must be made upon receipt of the invoice. Facility reservation is not guaranteed until the invoice payment has been submitted to the CUB office.
2. Payments - The $25.00 application fee and the rental fees may be paid by a VISA or MasterCard credit/debit card through SchoolPay.
3. Cancellation By User Groups - If a permit is canceled more than 2 weeks before the event, a $50.00 cancellation fee will be retained. If a permit is canceled less than 2 weeks before the event, 50% of the use fee will also be retained. If a permit is canceled less than 24 hours before the event 100% of rental fee will also be retained.
4. Cancellation By Portland Schools - If cancellation by the school district is necessary due to a school activity; CUB staff will contact the permit holder. Every effort will be made to relocate the activity. Rental fees will be refunded if the activity cannot be moved to another date/time or location.
5. Building Use Permit - A CUB permit will be issued upon payment of the invoice. The permit must be presented at the facility at the time of the activity. Changes to the permit will require a new application approved by the building administrator and an additional $25.00 change fee.
1. Supervision -The applicant agrees to supervise and accept responsibility for the activity and conduct of all participants in compliance with school district regulations/conditions of use listed above. In the absence of a school administrator, the custodian has authority to enforce compliance with the regulations.
2. Liability - The applicant agrees to assume liability for damages that occur as a result of the activity. Damage costs will be billed to the permit holder.
3. Violations – Failure to comply with the building use procedures may result in cancellation of the use permit and restriction of future use.
SCHOOL SPONSORED ACTIVITIES
If the request is for an officially school sponsored/sanctioned and funded event, indicate school/program/grant chartfield to be charged if custodial overtime occurs as a result of the activity.
Except for gym use after 6:00 pm weeknights when school is in session for basketball or volleyball, the building administrator(s) must approve applications for use of facilities.
Questions regarding the Procedures, Terms and Conditions should be directed to the Civic Use of Buildings Office.